An angel that was treated ‘like garbage’ – Killing of Eyad al-Hallaq

‘He’s Disabled,’ the Caregiver Screamed. ‘I’m With Her,’ Eyad Cried. The Cop Opened Fire Anyway

Gideon Levy – Ha’aretz

Eyad Hallaq was shot to death in a roofless garbage room. According to the testimony of his caregiver, who was by his side and tried to protect him, he was executed. For long minutes she stood next to him and pleaded for his life, trying to explain to the police officers, in Hebrew and in Arabic, that he suffered from a disability. They shot him three times from close range with a rifle, directly into the center of his body, as he lay on his back, wounded and terrified, on the floor of the room.

The garbage room is located in a narrow courtyard in Jerusalem’s Old City, inside Lions Gate, exactly at the start of the Via Dolorosa, where Jesus walked from the site of his trial to the place of his crucifixion, on what’s now called King Faisal Street. It’s just a few dozen meters from the entrance to the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound. The sanctity of the area did not help Hallaq. Nor did the fact that he was someone with special needs, a 32-year-old autistic person, the apple of the eye of his parents, who devoted their lives to looking after him.

Hallaq was afraid of blood: His mother shaved him in the morning, for fear he would cut himself. Every scratch threw him into a panic, she says. He was also afraid of the armed police officers who stood along the route to the special needs center he went to, where participated in a vocational training program. His instructor taught him how to make his way there alone on foot – it took a month before he dared walk the route by himself – a little more than a kilometer from his home in the Wadi Joz neighborhood into the Old City.

On his first days at the center the teacher stopped with Hallaq next to the police guard post at Lions Gate. She tried to explain to him that he had nothing to fear; they wouldn’t do him any harm, she promised. She also explained to the police officers that he was disabled and was attending the therapeutic institution where she worked – the El Quds center run by the Elwyn Israel organization, as part of its network of facilities for special-needs children and adults.

Hallaq passed the police post every day for six years, apparently without any problems. In his pocket he carried a certificate issued by the center, stating in Hebrew and in Arabic that he was a person with special needs, as well as a National Insurance Institute card confirming that he had a 100-percent disability. But nothing saved the young man from the hands of Border Policemen, quick on the draw, unrestrained, bloodthirsty.

Hallaq passed the police post every day for six years, apparently without any problems. In his pocket he carried a certificate issued by the center, stating in Hebrew and in Arabic that he was a person with special needs, as well as a National Insurance Institute card confirming that he had a 100-percent disability. But nothing saved the young man from the hands of Border Policemen, quick on the draw, unrestrained, bloodthirsty.

Last Saturday, Hallaq left home a little after 6 A.M. The day at Elwyn El Quds, located at the entrance to the Al-Aqsa compound, begins at 7:30, but he always arrived early in order to prepare the kitchen for the cooking classes. Last week, for the first time in his life, he made a vegetable salad for his parents, slicing tomatoes and an onion, and dressing the result with olive oil. His father, Khairy, says it was the tastiest salad he’d ever eaten.

Eyad liked going to the special needs center. When the institution shut down for a month and a half during the coronavirus lockdown, his mother had to take him there a few times to prove to him that it was closed. Last Saturday, on the last day of his life, he set out tranquilly and in good spirits. He had a cup of tea, ate a sandwich his mother made for him, showered, dressed and left. Security camera footage shows him walking along the street, a garbage bag in his hands. Every morning on the way to school he threw out the garbage from home.

A little before 6 A.M., Warda Abu Hadid, Eyad’s caregiver, also set out from her home in the Jabal Mukkaber neighborhood, headed for the Elwyn center. At about 6:10, Abu Hadid, 47, passed by the Border Policemen who were manning the security post at Lions Gate and entered the Old City. She had not walked much more than 100 meters before she heard shouts behind her: “Terrorist! Terrorist!” Immediately afterward she heard three shots. She rushed to the garbage room nearby, taking shelter behind the iron closet on its right side. Just then her ward, Hallaq, ran into the room in a panic and collapsed on the floor. A sanitation worker was sitting there, drinking tea.

The garbage room is an open space, not very big, with a few chairs for sanitation workers and a large container that reeked unmercifully this week when we visited the site. On the iron closet is a metal plaque with verses from the Koran, which has been here a long time. There were three bullet holes in the tin wall.

Abu Hadid noticed that Hallaq, lying on the floor, was bleeding, apparently from being shot in the leg by the Border Policemen as he fled. She later told Amer Aruri, of the Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem, that Hallaq lay there for between three and five minutes, wounded, before he was shot and killed.

The whole time she shouted, “He is disabled, he is disabled!” in Hebrew, and Hallaq shouted, “Ana ma’aha!” – Arabic for “I am with her” – as he attempted to cling to his caregiver for protection. It’s not hard to imagine what went through his mind in those last terrified minutes, as three officers ran into the room screaming, “Where is the rifle? Where is the rifle?”


The officers aimed their weapons at Hallaq. They were at point-blank range, standing over him at the entrance to the garbage room. Abu Hadid kept trying to explain that Hallaq didn’t have any sort of gun – he was only holding the surgical face mask that is required these days at the center, and rubber gloves – when one of the officers fired three shots with his M-16 into the center of the young man’s body, killing him instantly.

Suddenly the area was filled with Border Police, among them an officer who aimed her weapon at Abu Hadid’s head, ordering her to stand still while she subjected her to a body search. The caregiver, whose ward had just been killed before her eyes, was utterly distraught. She was then taken to the police position next to Lions Gate, stripped almost naked in a search for the nonexistent firearm, and then interrogated for three hours.

The officers wanted to know about Hallaq and the institution he attended. They then informed Abu Hadid that she would be taken for questioning to the notorious room No. 4 in the police station in the Russian Compound, in downtown Jerusalem. She balked, telling the police that she first had to call her director, which they allowed her to do.

The director of the center joined her, and Abu Hadid was interrogated for an additional three hours in the Russian Compound, until her family arrived. They took her to a clinic in her neighborhood, to calm her down and tend to her mental state. Later on this week she was summoned to the offices of the Justice Ministry unit that investigates police actions to give testimony.

In the meantime, the Elwyn center had called Hallaq’s father and told him his son had been shot in the leg. Khairy says now that he had a bad feeling: He knows that the regular police and the Border Police don’t injure people – they shoot to kill. He and his wife Rana rushed to Elwyn El Quds. A large group of officers blocked their way and told them that they were going to search their home. No one told the couple what had happened to their son. It was only when the officers raided their house and carried out a short search that one of them asked Khairy, “When do you intend to hold the funeral?”

That is how Eyad’s father learned that his beloved son was dead. That’s the way of police officers when it comes to Palestinians. Khairy says that the commander of the force acted humanely, but that one officer was vulgar and violent, telling Eyad’s bereaved sister, “If you were a man I would have already smashed you,” after she tried to grab his arm during the search.

Khairy Hallaq is a thin, gentle man of 64 who this week was living on tranquilizer injections, not eating or sleeping. His eyes, red from crying and exhaustion alike, said everything. He is disabled as a result of a work accident about 15 years ago in a marble factory he owned in Anata, near the Old City. He has been unemployed ever since. When Eyad was a boy he sometimes took him to work with him.

The couple has two daughters, Diana, 35, and Joanna, 34. When we visit, the latter, a special-education teacher, is sitting next to her weeping mother and looks no less tormented. Eyad’s parents devoted their lives to his care. This week Khairy and Rana, who is 58 and in poor health, mourned separately, as is the custom – he in the mourning tent that was erected at the end of their road; she in their home on Yakut al-Hamawi Street.

Eyad Hallaq’s small room is tidy and spotless. A wide bed covered with a brown velvet blanket, a television mounted on the wall, and a row of the cheap bottles of aftershave and other grooming products that he loved are on the chest of drawers, along with the de rigueur bottle of hand sanitizer. He was meticulous about his appearance.

“I don’t wear fine clothes like my son and I don’t have the kind of cellphone he does,” his father says. The mourning poster hanging at the top of the street shows a handsome young man. His mother tells us that she is convinced he will return.

“They took Eyad. I want Eyad. When will Eyad come back? When? When? When? All day long I am at the door – maybe he will come back,” she says. “Thirty-two years I raised him, step by step. I put so much into him. My health suffered. Everyone who took care of him said there was no Palestinian who was looked after like him. But your people think he was garbage. That’s why he was murdered.”

Both parents speak Hebrew. Their initial fears about their son first arose when he was 2. For two more years they made the rounds of doctors and clinics, until he was diagnosed as autistic. At first he was sent to a regular private school, but couldn’t integrate there; up until about six years ago he was home, not enrolled in any educational framework. The years at Elwyn El Quds were apparently the best years of his life. His parents are sorry that they only heard about the center when he was in his 20s. On Fridays, when it was closed, he would go out in the morning to buy his parents Jerusalem-style sesame-seed pretzels.

Hallaq never spoke to strangers, only to people he knew well. Once he got used to people, he liked to laugh with them. Walking on the street, his head was usually hung low. If he passed someone he knew he might wave hello but wouldn’t stop to speak. He spoke only with his close family and his friends, and with the caregivers at Elwyn.

“If you sat next to him, he would move away. He needed a lot of time to get used to you,” his father says. When he was not in the center he didn’t hang out with friends. In his room he liked to watch cartoons – Mickey Mouse, and Tom and Jerry on MBC3, the Arabic children’s channel. Rana says he didn’t always focus on the cartoons, only stared at them. “He was a baby,” she says, “a 2-year-old baby.”

Her husband adds later, “He was 32 but had the intelligence of an 8-year-old.”

Hallaq’s dream was to work as an assistant cook. In the meantime, he and others at the center would prepare food and go to the Beit Hanina neighborhood to give it to children with special needs there.

Sitting in the mourning tent is one of Eyad’s friends from Elwyn, wrapped in a black winter coat and a thick sweater. Pointing the friend out, the bereaved father says to us: “You asked me a lot of questions and now I want to ask you a question. Look at that person. Could you wear what he is wearing in this heat? What do you see in this person who dressed like that in the summer? What can you see? I will bring you a little boy, what will you see? A boy. A sick boy. That is what the officer who killed Eyad saw.”


Back at home, Rana says, “He was an angel while he was on the earth, and now he is an angel when he is under the earth” – and again bursts into tears.


The day before her son was killed, she says, she asked him not to go to the center the next day, but he insisted. As often happens with bereaved parents, Rana says she had a feeling that something bad was liable to happen to her son. “We saw in the United States the policeman who killed. He is under arrest. And in Israel? He should get at least 25 years. They killed him like he was a fly. My son was a fly.”


A sign at the entrance to the Hallaqs’ house requests people not to kiss or shake hands, because of the coronavirus, but no one pays any heed to it here. A delegation from the Hadash party, led by MKs Aida Touma-Sliman and Yousef Jabareen, arrives to pay condolences. The police haven’t yet returned Eyad’s disability card and his clothes. A cousin, Tareq Akash, an electrical engineer who was in high-tech and is now a doctoral student at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, asks, “Can we go and demonstrate now? Burn police stations like in the United States? We don’t want to burn anything. But are we allowed to express anger? You know, they’ll open fire at us.”


We follow Hallaq’s route on his last day. Leaving the house, we turn right and walk up the street to Jericho Road. At the traffic lights we cross the busy street, above which is a poster: “Look drivers in the eye.” Behind us is the university’s Mount Scopus campus, in front of us is the Old City. After the young man crossed the street, he walked along the renovated stone path that follows the Old City wall to Lions Gate, next to the Yeusefiya Cemetery. Three cute puppies are hiding next to the wall. Here Hallaq walked down the slope, between the graves and the wall, moments before his death. Steps lead up to Lions Gate. Four Border Policemen armed and armored from head to foot, truncheons and rifles in their slings, stand at the entrance in a threatening posture as we pass by.

Here is where Warda Abu Hadid heard the shots, here is the garbage room, near the sign to the Via Dolorosa. Here she tried to take shelter from the shooting and here lay Eyad, her ward, until his death.

Elwyn El Quds is only a few dozen meters from here. An electric glass door protects the wards at the facility; there’s no entry to strangers during the coronavirus crisis. Young people emerge from the stone courtyard, it’s midday and the school day will soon be over. The director, Manar Zamamiri, says that about 100 people get training and therapy at this center, all of them 21 and above, but this is just one branch of the Elwyn network – there are several other centers with schools and other programs in the city, serving hundreds of disabled children and adults. The main effort here is invested in vocational training.

The Dome of the Rock glitters golden behind the entrance, where armed Israeli police officers are poised. The director breaks into a broad smile, visible even through her face mask, when we ask about Eyad. “He was so sweet. We loved him so much. And his mother is such a strong woman – mekudeshet” – holy – she says in Hebrew. This week she tried to explain to her wards what happened to Eyad.


‘The light of my heart’ — Eyad al-Halaq’s mother grieves his killing outside Jerusalem school he loved

Yumna Patel –Mondoweiss

In the living room of her home in the Wadi al-Joz neighborhood of occupied East Jerusalem, a tired Ranad al-Halaq sits between a sea of grieving family members, friends, neighbors, and strangers who have come to pay their respects.

It’s been two days since her only son, 32-year-old Eyad al-Halaq, was gunned down by Israeli police in the Old City of Jerusalem, where he was enrolled at a center for Palestinian adults and children with disabilities. 

In the hours since, she has relived the moment her son was killed over and over again, recounting the chilling tale of his slaying as told to her by one of the only eyewitnesses to the event, Eyad’s school teacher. 

Eyad, who was born with autism, left his family’s home in the early hours of Saturday morning to make his way to the Elwyn El Quds center less than two kilometers away.  

“Eyad always had a problem with calculating or remembering time,” Ranad told Mondoweiss. “So the second he would see the sun come up, he would think it was time to go to school. So that’s what he did on Saturday.”

Typically, Eyad’s mother or one of his two sisters accompanies him to school. On Saturday, however, because the family had the day off from work, they slept in. But when they woke up to their phones ringing just after 6 a.m., they realized that Eyad was not at home, and never made it to school. 

He was close to the school when the Israeli police started yelling at him to stop moving,” Ranad recounted. “He was confused and scared and started to run away,” she continued, adding that when the police started shooting their guns in the air, Eyad’s teacher ran out towards him to try to stop the police. 

“She saw what was happening and was yelling at the police to stop, saying that he has special needs,” she continued. “But they didn’t stop, and kept yelling ‘terrorist!’ in Hebrew.”

Eyad allegedly became more fearful, tearing off his protective gloves and mask and handing them to his teacher before running away. He then hid behind a dumpster nearby and was “curled up like a baby”, crying “I’m with her, I’m with her,” referring to his teacher. 

“Then the officer came and shot him in the chest while he was hiding behind the dumpster in fear,” Ranad said. 

The police officers then allegedly ran up to Eyad’s teacher, their guns pointed at her head, demanding that she turn over the weapon that Eyad had handed to her. 

“They thought he had a gun or something,” Ranad recounted. “But when she held out her hands all she had was his mask and gloves.”

‘He loved that school more than anything’

When Eyad was diagnosed with autism as a young boy, friends and family expressed their sorrows to Ranad and her husband. Raising a child with a disability, especially in Palestine where mental disabilities are still taboo, would not be easy. 

But for the past 32 years, Eyad has brought nothing but joy to his family, Ranad says, adding that he was the “salt of the home”, a common Arabic saying used to refer to people who give their family life, or flavor. 

“He was a quiet, gentle, sweet, and kind soul,” she said. “It was hard for him to communicate with most people, but he could sit with anyone and make them feel happy, just with his presence.”

“During the summer, we always used to sit by the window and drink a cup of tea or coffee, and he would tell me all about his day, and ask me questions about life and the universe,” Ranad recounted. 

“He was the light of my heart, the light of my eyes, my soul, my angel.”

Living with autism made it difficult for Eyad to connect with people outside of his family, Ranad said. The only place he loved even more than home, was the Elwyn El Quds center. 

“He was his happiest when he was at the school,” Ranad said. “So the coronavirus lockdown was really hard for him because the school was shut down.”

Every day, Eyad would ask his mother when he could return to school. “It was a dark time for him,” she said. “He was really depressed, all he wanted was to go back. The school brought him so much happiness.”

When Israel finally began easing COVID-19 restrictions in the middle of May, Eyad was ecstatic to return back to the center. He had only been back to his beloved school a handful of times when he was killed right outside its doors. 

Overwhelming support

The shooting of al-Halaq quickly garnered international and local attention, with many comparing his killing to the death of George Floyd at the hands of police in Minneapolis three days earlier. 

Since al-Halaq was killed, a number of protests and vigils have popped up around Israel and the occupied territories, commemorating al-Halaq and Floyd, and expressing solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. 

In Haifa, dozens of protesters waving Palestinian flags and holding up posters of Floyd and al-Halaq, blocking off the main road in German Colony neighborhood of the city. 

Across the Green Line in the city of Bethlehem, Palestinians young and old gathered outside the Church of Nativity, the birthplace of Jesus Christ, and held a somber vigil for Floyd and al-Halaq. 

Demonstrators lit candles and placed flowers in front of pictures of Floyd and al-Halaq and a poster that read “Our struggles are one. Black Lives Matter, Palestinian Lives Matter.”

In Jerusalem, similar demonstrations have been happening across the city, with hundreds gathering to mourn the loss of al-Halaq. 

“The support has been overwhelming in Jerusalem,” Ranad told Mondoweiss. “Everyone who worked with him in the school has come to share their kind words about him. Even strangers are coming to support us.”

“My son wasn’t very well known during his life. But now everyone knows his name, and everyone in Jerusalem and in Palestine knows him.”

The killing of al-Halaq shook many Palestinians to their core, and has served as a harsh reminder of the reality of living as a Palestinian under occupation. Palestinians, especially in Jerusalem, face over-policing in their neighborhoods, unwarranted stops and searches by police, and an excessive use of force at the hands of Israeli authorities. 

“There is a long legacy of Black-Palestinian solidarity and a radical understanding that the Black liberation struggle is an anti-colonial fight that is transnational and connected to the struggles of oppressed peoples across the globe,” the Adalah Justice Project said in a statement. 

In the wake of al-Halaq’s killing, Israeli human rights group B’Tselem compiled a list of at least 11 Palestinians who were killed over the past few years while they were fleeing Israeli forces. 

In most cases, B’Tselem noted that the victims, who posed no threat to the forces at the time, were shot in the back. 

Empty apologies 

The attention surrounding the killing of al-Halaq and the ongoing Black Lives Matter protests around the world have resulted in a less than flattering public relations nightmare for Israel. 

While the killing of unarmed Palestinians is not uncommon, al-Halaq’s case forced Benny Gantz, the acting Defense Minister to issue an apology to the family, saying “we share in the family’s grief.”

But Ranad al-Halaq told Mondoweiss that any apologies from the Israeli government, especially Gantz, meant nothing to her. 

“They wouldn’t accept this kind off treatment for their kids, for their people, even for their animals. So how do they accept this treatment of our children?” she asked.

“I don’t want anyone’s apology,” she said. “I will not accept it. My son is dead. Saying sorry is not enough. It will never be enough.”

With the Israeli police officers responsible for her son’s death still free, Ranad said she feels little hope when it comes to achieving justice for her son. 

“I don’t think Eyad’s case will be treated any differently than all the other Palestinians who were wrongfully killed and got no justice from the Israeli occupation,” she said, adding that “the Israeli police and occupation are always covering up their crimes.”

Despite all the obstacles standing in her way, Ranad said she won’t give up, and will try as hard as she can to hold the officers who killed her son accountable for their crimes. 

“I wish I could meet the soldier who killed my son. To make him feel shame for what he did,” she said. “He killed an innocent man who just wanted to go to his school and learn. I want to look the soldier in the eye and make him feel what he took away from me.”

‘Iyad was the flower of the family. They cut him down too early’

Suha Araff – 972 Magazine

Iyad al-Hallaq had waited to return to school “with bated breath,” said his sister, Diana al-Hallaq. During the coronavirus outbreak, the Elwyn school for children and adults with special needs, where Iyad studied, was shut down. Iyad, a 32-year-old Palestinian man with autism, cried because he wanted to study, and their mother had to explain to him over and again that the school was closed. When he was still not convinced, their mother took him there twice to show him, explained Diana.

“Our mother felt he was different [from a young age],” said Diana. “The moment we understood that he has autism, my mother loved him even more. She believes in God, and she saw Iyad as an angel who was sent to her from heaven to protect us and her.”

When the school reopened, al-Hallaq was “elated,” continued Diana. “They learned many things there: how to cook, how to take care of themselves, how to take care of plants and the environment. He came home and wanted to help our mother cook. She was so happy that he was happy.”

“Iyad was the flower of the family. They cut him down too early. He was our joy, a pure soul.”

On Saturday morning, al-Hallaq left his home in the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Wadi Joz toward the school, as he had down many times before. When he passed by a group of Israeli Border Police officers, they suspected al-Hallaq was carrying a weapon and ordered him to stop. Instead, al-Hallaq fled the scene, fearing for his life. The officers chased him down and opened fire. They reportedly found him lying wounded in a dumpster room, accompanied by one of the Elwyn teachers who pleaded with the soldiers. According to reports, one of the officers opened fire from close range, killing al-Hallaq.

Al-Hallaq had started walking to school alone only in recent years. “His mother was too scared to let him go. It took us a long time to convince her,” said Sami, Diana’s husband. “The result was that he was shot to death on the way to school. I have no idea how my mother-in-law can go on without him. He is her soul, her life, the light in her eyes.”

For more than two years, Diana said, al-Hallaq was accompanied by an escort who would walk him to school every day. The escort explained to him how to walk on the sidewalk, how to stop at a crosswalk, how to cross the street. She even took him to the local police station and introduced him to the officers there.

“This was common practice,” noted Diana. “That’s how they have done it at the school ever since there was an incident with another child, in which a student was shot by soldiers after he was asked to stop but didn’t. He didn’t die, but since then the school made sure that the police get to know the children. [Iyad] was very scared of the soldiers and the police, and when he saw them, he would always withdraw into himself and run away. Our area has lots of soldiers and police.”

Even then, their mother was too worried to let him walk to school on his own, and would accompany him to and from school every day, said Diana. “Only after she saw that he knew how to do it on his own did she let him walk alone.”

“He was our mother’s love, her entire life,” laments Diana. “She would hold his hand like he was a baby, and he would walk with her to the market or the mosque or the clothing store. He was like her shadow. She worried about him and whether other kids would bother or hurt him.”

“He wasn’t only my brother — he was like my son. Everything I bought for my children, I bought for him too.”

“I can’t stop crying over him, and I don’t know what my mother will do without him,” said Diana. “They would sit for hours in his room, playing and eating and laughing together every day. They took him from her. They took her joy and left her with great sorrow and a broken heart. They left her with a wound that will never heal until the day she dies.”

A version of this article was first published in Hebrew on Local Call. Read it here.

Empowerment through education